To recognize an individual of the Maryland fire, rescue or emergency services community who has made an outstanding contribution to the future welfare of the fire, rescue and emergency medical services of Maryland. The Chief Leslie B. Thompson Memorial Award is sponsored and judged by the Damascus Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. and the Chestertown Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. and the award is administered by the Maryland Fire Chiefs Association.
This recognition of distinguished service shall be demonstrated by an individual who has:
- Made an outstanding contribution to the welfare of the fire, rescue and emergency medical services of Maryland;
- Who has provided distinguished service to their department and other departments; and
- Who has provided distinguished service to their county, other counties, regional organizations and the State of Maryland
Award of the Chief Leslie B. Thompson Memorial Award will be to an individual that has:
- Accomplished assigned or assumed duties in such a manner that was recognized as clearly exceptional among all who have performed like or similar duties in a superior manner (in such areas as administration, operations, emergency medical services, training, public safety education, etc.); and/or
- Developed and improved methods and procedures, or produced and innovation or invention which accomplished extraordinary results for the emergency services community; and/or
- Assisted in the organization, revitalization or other substantial means of a department or departments with the State; and/or
- Exhibited great courage and voluntary risk of personal safety or personal possessions in the face of danger, over and beyond the call of duty, in performing and act of heroic nature
The act justifying award of the Chief Leslie B. Thompson Memorial Award must be outlined by the individual submitting the application.
The Chief Leslie B. Thompson Memorial Award may be awarded posthumously.
Any bona fide members or former members of an organized fire, rescue or EMS organization; within the State of Maryland.
The nomination must be submitted by the following:
- A candidate for the Chief Leslie B. Thompson Memorial Award cannot nominate him/herself. An application must be submitted by an individual who possesses a strong understanding of the candidate’s contributions to the Maryland fire, rescue and/or emergency services.
The nomination shall be submitted on the provided online application.
The nomination shall include a narrative explaining the reason for the nomination and convey how the candidate’s contributions have addressed any of the criteria described above. It shall also described the outstanding contribution that the nominee has made to the welfare of the fire, rescue and emergency medical services of Maryland.
Review of nominations will be conducted by representatives of the Damascus Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. and the Chestertown Volunteer Fire Company, Inc.
Applications will be completed and submitted via online application only from January 1st to March 1st annually.
The Chief Leslie B. Thompson Memorial Award will be presented at the MFCA Annual Elections (spring) Meeting to the recipient or their family.
The Chief Leslie B. Thompson Memorial Award will be presented by the representatives of the Damascus Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. and the Chestertown Volunteer Fire Company, Inc.
The recipient will be provide with the Chief Leslie B. Thompson Memorial Award that may be displayed by the recipient from the time of award until the time the award is to be given next. Upon returning the award, the recipient will be provided with a small version of the award for personal keeping.
The following individuals are past recipients of the Chief John W. Hoglund Fire Service Leadership Award
Prince Frederick VFD
Wylie L. Donaldson, Jr.
Paul Sterling, Jr.
Sandy Spring VFD
Western Enterprise VFD
Church Hill VFD
Rick L. Hemphill
Independent Juniors VFD
James P. Seavey
Cabin John VFD
Mount Airy VFD
Hugh D. Owens, Jr.
Glen Dale VFD
William E. Barnard
John W. Hoglund
West Lanham Hills VFD
Roger Steger, Sr.
Ocean City VFD
Charles N. Black, IV
Delegate Norman Conway
Joseph R. Robinson
Leonard T. King, Sr.
Albert “Mickey” Harris
Glen Echo VFD
J. West Thompson
Goodwill Fire Company
Charles B. Burton
Landover Hills VFD